Why is it hard to ask for help?
If you’re starting a something new you will encounter challenges. Some of those challenges you can overcome yourself. Others will require help from others. But you’re reluctant to ask for help.
- Your facing some challenge or setback and it’s consuming you.
- You’ve got a fantastic idea but you’re not sure how to move it forward.
- You need someone to fill a role or responsibility.
- You have a new opportunity but you don’t know where to start.
- You’re stuck .
Whatever it is…
You feel the pressure to know and to figure it out for yourself. So you don’t ask for help, and that’s a miss.
The reasons are myriad, none of which ought to be a surprise if you stop and think about it. Suffice to say, stubbornness and pride are the usual culprits.
Don’t be afraid–go ahead and ask for help. You’d be surprised at how much is help is all around you. But you’ve got to be willing to ask.
Here are some ways to ask for help:
- Pray about it. (Seriously)
- Write down the challenge and then list the names of people who can potentially help.
- Ask someone else how they handled a similar challenge to yours.
- Ask someone on your team you normally wouldn’t for his or her opinion.
- Ask a friend to recommend a book about the challenge.
- Ask a trusted coach.
- Contact someone in your network and find out how they did it.
- Email an author or blogger for insight.
Ask! Ask for help. Ask for insight. Ask for coaching. Ask for feedback. Ask for ideas.
Asking demonstrates your humility and honors the person(s) you’re asking and that’s a good thing.
If you’re undertaking something new, you’re going to encounter challenges. And you can overcome many of those challenges if you stop and ask for help.
What about you? What challenges do you face and who are you going to ask for help?
You can SUBSCRIBE to this blog if you’d like.