I helped my non-believing friend try to understand church planting the best I could that night. I am not sure he understood it any better.
But his question also got me to thinking. In fact, it challenged me so much I went home and starting writing a list and titled it ‘why I believe in church planting.’
My list isn’t a theological argument for church planting. Nor is it missiologically comprehensive.
It’s just my list. These are phrases I use to help people who struggle to better understand what we do and why we do it. These are the reasons that get me out of bed everyday.
So here it goes…
- I believe in church planting because I found my way back to God at a church planting church.
- I believe God uses church planting to draw new believers to Jesus because we go to them.
- I believe a new healthy church glorifies God and that’s why any of us are here.
- I believe church planting is the best way to make the gospel real to people in post-modern, post-Christian 21st century that is largely skeptical of it.
- I believe church planting offers people an opportunity to be on mission for something bigger than themselves.
- I believe church planting is the life-beat of the church because it keeps the mission on the edge.
- I believe church planting is the way to fulfill the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20) to make disciples and teach them and baptize them.
- I believe church planting brings renewal to the Body of Christ by drawing upon the skills and talents of Jesus followers in unique ways.
- I believe church planting is an authentic expression of Christian faith because it embodies the original ethos of the Jesus movement.
- I believe church planting will lead to movements and that through movements we will achieve the Jesus mission. This is why the church exists.
I’ve left out a ton. (I did want to keep this list to just 10 items.) But this about does it for me.
So what about you? Why do you believe in church planting? What items are on your list? I’d love to hear from you.
If you dig the content of Mission Glue please SUBSCRIBE. Thank you for reading–I really appreciate it.